C'est ici qu'on présente nos voitures

Re: Ghibli de Hongrie [ENG]

Messagede spacecadet » Mar 14 Aoû 2018 20:45

Good to know, thanks for the info.
spacecadet
Monocylindre

Messagede spacecadet » Sam 8 Sep 2018 15:48

I would need some help in removing the crank pulley. I have the tool, but I'm afraid that I'll break something. Of course first I've nicked the inner threads where the crank pulley bolt goes (hopefully only the first one or two) because I just threaded in the tool in itself (I don't know how Maserati thought this tool can be used in itself, or I just didn't got the other part of it when buying second hand). Then inserted a bolt which were ground down, and also applied some heat. But still nothing moves. I'm using an old belt to hold the crank while trying to thread in the tool.

spacecadet
Monocylindre

Messagede spacecadet » Sam 8 Sep 2018 17:45

Ok it came down, more heat and properly blocking the crankshaft at the back helped.
spacecadet
Monocylindre

Messagede spacecadet » Dim 9 Sep 2018 21:16

Finished stripping down the block. The lower main bearing are definitely worn, and some of the upper ones too. Will replace these, but first measure everything.

Do you know what are these marks the connecting rods? Always a character first then two numbers.

spacecadet
Monocylindre

Messagede alpa » Dim 9 Sep 2018 21:24

Never had problem to remove the pulley with a simple custom tool.
Your main bearings are in good shape compared to what I usually find.
To me marks are just lots and pairing numbers. Nevers tried to find any logic.
Weight classes are shown by color marks on the middle H section of the rods.

Don't forget to follow procedure when putting the pulley back: must be heated to something like 200C (very hot) and may be oiled, don't remember. Then goes easily and you have few seconds to adjust.
On se reposera a la morgue Coucou Koen
alpa
V12

Messagede spacecadet » Dim 9 Sep 2018 21:45

Actually the whole bottom seems to be in a quite good condition despite the nearly 150.000 kms. The honing marks are fully visible on sleeves and the machining marks too on the piston skirts (some are a bit more worn).

Yes, the rods have brown colour (should be 520 g) and the crankshaft balacing class is 1385 g. I also haven't found any logic in the marks, but at least all of them are different so I didn't have to create new marks.

The hardest was removing the pulley, and based on this I guess putting it back will be also tricky.
spacecadet
Monocylindre

Messagede alpa » Dim 9 Sep 2018 23:50

spacecadet a écrit:The hardest was removing the pulley, and based on this I guess putting it back will be also tricky.

As I said just follow the procedure and do align well while the pulley is still hot so that you can move it (by hand). It's an interference fit, be quick and precise.

150.000km and bearings in such a good condition ... I doubt.
alpa
V12

Messagede spacecadet » Lun 10 Sep 2018 20:43

alpa a écrit:As I said just follow the procedure and do align well while the pulley is still hot so that you can move it (by hand). It's an interference fit, be quick and precise.

Ok, will do :)

alpa a écrit:150.000km and bearings in such a good condition ... I doubt.

There was no sign at all that this engine has been opened before.

Today we measured pistons, liners and crankshaft and everything is in limits:
- pistons have a tiny wear - 81.95 the worst
- liners well within the limit - some no wear, some 82.01 in the top or middle (82.00 in the bottom), one 82.02 at the top
- crankshaft has no measurable wear

Even the engine builder helping me was surprised about the condition.

The oiling system was also surprising, how the crankshaft gets the oil from the pump, but especially that the first main bearing doesn't get oil directly from below only from sideways?
spacecadet
Monocylindre

Messagede alpa » Mar 11 Sep 2018 07:27

I don't remember details but this engine oiling is still on the edge of best race engines of today. Oiling through the crankshaft became common quite recently.
Same for the heads' cooling circuit.
alpa
V12

Messagede spacecadet » Jeu 20 Sep 2018 11:06

Yes, I've read about it since then. What's special about the heads' cooling? I'm starting to understand why this engine is said to be well designed, contemporary and ahead of the others.

But I also have a new issue, maybe someone also had this here. Nearly two years ago I've bought piston rings from Carrozzeria Campana as a perparation for the rebuild but I didn't check them at that time. This week I've removed the old rings, opened the package, measured all the end gaps wanted to put on the pistons when it turned out they are 1.5/1.5/3.0 instead of 1.2/1.2/3.0 They are stating that others are using these with success, but it would be only possible if the piston grooves were remachined which I don't want to do. Or I were supplied a wrong set.

As we know the rings are not available from Maserati anymore, but did someone maybe sources custom rings from any manufacturer?
spacecadet
Monocylindre

PrécédenteSuivante

Retourner vers Nos Maserati