Nous sommes le Jeu 15 Nov 2018 19:33

Ghibli de Hongrie [ENG]

C'est ici qu'on présente nos voitures

Ghibli de Hongrie [ENG]

Messagede spacecadet » Mar 16 Jan 2018 01:05

Bonsoir!

First of all sorry for the language, I'm a long time reader of the forum but only with Google Translate. I was advised by some members of the forum (Nicolas and Alexis) to write in English as I don't speak French.

I'm from Hungary, bought my Ghibli 2.0L ABS 3.5 years ago from the Netherlands. It was in a nice state, bit much kms (140.000), but with an extensive service history, except the last few years when it wasn't really used.

The only problem, loud noise, was with the Ranger differential, which I replaced with another used one.

After two years I've noticed a overfueling (oil level was increasing but not with water), and in the end found some faulty temperature sensors which I replaced, a vacuum leak in the back of the intake manifold, also cleaned the injectors and replaced the oxygen sensors. This seemed to fix the issue.

Last winter I was planning to overhaul the whole suspension (rubbers, repaint, etc.) but only finished with the rear part.

While preparing for the front, I've noticed the well documented crack on the right hand longeron.

Before doing the suspension I also wanted to verify the power of the engine, and only measured 250bhp on the dyno. So decided to wait for the next winter to tackle these problems.

This is where I'm now, and I'm writing here because I think there is a lot of relevant technical knowledge for these cars (late 2.24, Shamal, Ghibli, QP4) here. I'm still getting to know this car, and I'm not a mechanic, just doing it as a hobby, so excuse me the dumb questions I will come up.

In the last week I've finished pulling the engine, so that the crack can be fixed.

Now I'm trying to understand what could be the reason of the lack of power. Compression was ok.

When I had the issue with the increasing oil level some workshops said it's the rings and I have to overhaul the whole engine. At that time without knowing too much I just said ok, and started slowly collecting the spare parts. But today I don't yet want to open the engine because I don't think it's in such a bad state. I'll first start with diagnostics to better understand the current state instead of just replacing things. Planning to do a leakdown test and verify the timing first. I was thinking about setting valve clearances, replacing the streched timing chains which I've already bought earlier and setting properly setting up the timing. If these fixes the power great, if not I can still open the engine.

I was also thinking that maybe the turbos are tired, and while I was removing the engine now I found quite some oil in the R.H. turbo outlet - intercooler inlet. Could this be connected to a broken blow off valve? When I was looking for vacuum leaks I've found that the R.H. one had a broken diaphragm so I've also replaced that.

Peter
spacecadet
Monocylindre

Re: Ghibli de Hongrie [ENG]

Messagede bay » Mar 16 Jan 2018 08:31

Congratulations , Peter ;)

Recherche toutes informations au sujet des Maserati Gransport MC Victory , le registre Gransport MC Victory

Ghibli III V6 3.0 330 cv Grigio Maratea 571 Image

"Playboys are driving Ferrari and Gentlemen are driving Maserati"
bay
V12

Messagede fanch » Mar 16 Jan 2018 10:35

Welcome on board.
fanch
V6

Messagede Cedfred » Mar 16 Jan 2018 10:45

Hi Peter, welcome to the Forum!
I bought my Primatist in Budapest... are you from Budapest?

You may already have found the information, but you have a summary on the Ghibli II at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4048 ... I will need to update it by the way :D !
You will find some technical Docs at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=138 and the electrical Schematics are at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t2ZHZ ... Gv51F1EhN3
Note that the engine doc is the same than for the Quattroporte.

I've in mind that if the oil level increase, it means either you have water or gasoline coming in... does the oil smell gasoline?

What about your turbo pressure? when you accelerate hard, the pressure should move to the red zone for a very short time - 1 second or less - and then stabilize in the orange zone.
Spyder biturbo 2.8 de 1991 - Primatist de 1997 - 3200 GT de 2001
Cedfred
V12

Messagede alpa » Mar 16 Jan 2018 12:01

spacecadet a écrit:After two years I've noticed a overfueling (oil level was increasing but not with water), and in the end found some faulty temperature sensors which I replaced, a vacuum leak in the back of the intake manifold, also cleaned the injectors and replaced the oxygen sensors. This seemed to fix the issue.

Before doing the suspension I also wanted to verify the power of the engine, and only measured 250bhp on the dyno. So decided to wait for the next winter to tackle these problems.

Now I'm trying to understand what could be the reason of the lack of power. Compression was ok.

Hi Peter,
Welcome !
The above put together makes think it's:
- either a problem with rings
- or dirty injectors and/or not well working engine management.
What do you mean by "Compression was ok". How much ? Cold or hot engine ?
In both cases there is a fact: the engine has run with a diluted oil. Consequence: all bearings could be badly worn. Especially because these v6 are odd-firing and main bearings are very tight, they wear out fast.

A really worn turbo becomes very noisy. If it's not it's probably still making the proper boost level.

As I've already told you I don't think you'll cure performance problems with new chains and (probably not needed) valve clearance adjustment. On turbo engines they don't count that much. Unless timing belt slipped.

The rebuilt rear looks great !
On se reposera a la morgue Coucou Koen
alpa
V12

Messagede plm » Mar 16 Jan 2018 17:53

Welcome Peter,

seing that a lot of "maseratitudisti" do speak engligh, I propose the whole forum switches on english... :mrgreen:
Biturbo Spyder 2.8
Ghibli II 2.8
plm
V8

Messagede William » Mar 16 Jan 2018 18:03

Üdvözlünk! Gratulálok. Itt van olyan ember, aki segít.
Le moteur des uns fait le malheur des autres.
ex Quattroporte 5 ZF
3200 auto.

William
V8

Messagede plm » Mar 16 Jan 2018 18:20

Oh noooo,
an other language???

"$*+£§&<; :Maze ?$€ !!!!!" :D
Biturbo Spyder 2.8
Ghibli II 2.8
plm
V8

Messagede William » Mar 16 Jan 2018 19:37

I translate : Welcome. Some members can help you.
Le moteur des uns fait le malheur des autres.
ex Quattroporte 5 ZF
3200 auto.

William
V8

Messagede ghibli30 » Mar 16 Jan 2018 20:14

Hello Peter,
I think you face at least two problems. Oil level might be related to worn rings I'm afraid, as if it is not water, it is petrol, not better for the rings and other lubricated parts.
Then lack of power is not easy to diagnose. Maybe rings of course, but also SEM valve, inlet leaks, and as Alpa mentioned, also faulty management or injectors.
We will probably need some additional details to help in an efficient way......
Patrice
ghibli30
V8

Suivante

Retourner vers Nos Maserati